- This event has passed.
Circle of Life Art Contest
July 5 @ 8:00 am - July 20 @ 11:30 pm
Calling all artists from young children to adults. No matter your medium you are invited to submit your Lion King-themed artwork for a chance to win tickets to see Broadway San Diego’s production of The Lion King at the San Diego Civic Theatre from August 24 to September 11.
All media is welcome including photography, drawings, paintings, collage and 3D art (sculptures, masks, fashion design, decorated cakes, surfboards, etc.) To be considered for the Art Expo, artists will submit photos/scans of their artwork using this form by July 20.
There will be a Hakuna Matata Art Expo in La Jolla Village beginning August 5. The theme of the artwork should consist of the artist’s representations of The Lion King themes such as African animals or scenery, family, adventure, love, coming of age, betrayal, friendship, etc. Some important things you should know about this art contest include the following.
- The deadline for consideration is July 20th. (Via digital submission)
- One entry per person.
- There will be three different age categories. (Age as of August 5, 2022.)
- 12 and younger.
- 13 to 19 years old
- 20 and older.
- There will be two winners in each age division. Judges Choice and Fan Favorite. The winners in each category will each receive a pair of The Lion King tickets to the Live Broadway show at the San Diego Civic Theatre.
How to Submit
- Any art medium is welcome, but size will be considered when choosing winning pieces due to indoor space limitations.
- Artwork can be scanned or photographed and submitted via the entry form. 3-Dimensional pieces can be photographed from multiple different perspectives. (Ex. sculpture, cakes, masks, etc.)
- A jury of art professionals will select art (from digital submissions) by July 22. Artists will be notified at this time. The selected pieces will be displayed beginning August 5th at the Hakuna Matata-themed Art Walk.
- Artists will be responsible for transporting their art to and from Sotheby’s to arrive no later than August 1. Further details will be provided to selected artists.
Enter the contest and submit photos or your art HERE. *
Simba and his friends are excited to see everyone’s creative perspective for this Lion King-inspired art contest.
*If you are unable to submit your photos via Google Form you can submit them to email@example.com with the subject “Lion King Artwork Submission by July 20.”
- Email submissions must include:
- Correct subject line label “Lion King Artwork Submission” (artwork without proper subject line will not be viewed)
- Name of Contact Person, email address. phone number, zip code
- Name of artist and age category (age as of August 5, 2022) 12 and younger, 13-19, 19 and older
- Artist Statement – In 100 words or less describe how your artwork fits in with Lion King themes.
- It is understood that if your art piece is chosen, YOU will be responsible for transporting it to AND from La Jolla Village. Art will need to arrive between July 25th and 28th.