For Better or Worse, In Sickness and in Health…
We’re in this together!
We will continue to post resources, funding opportunities and additional information on our BLOG ‘s What’s New Section.
March 23, 2020; 6:00 PM Join our brand new Merchants Only Facebook Group where you can share ideas and see the very latest information and resources as it pertains to La Jolla’s small businesses. This is your connection to the community during this difficult time.
Meeting information: Until further notice all meetings of the La Jolla Village Merchants Association will take place via the Zoom Platform. There is no cost to attend a meeting and you can participate on almost any device — phone, tablet, computer. Click here to familiarize yourself with Zoom.
March 17, 2020, 10:00 AM – Click here for extremely valuable information including what to do if you are forced to lay off workers, need access to capital, grants, loans or expert advice especially for small business from Workforce Partnership.
March 16, 2020; 4:00 PM — At the La Jolla Village Merchants Association, our priority is to keep our members and visitors safe. As of March 16, due to Coronavirus guidelines, we are suspending all public meetings and gatherings of any size. We closely follow and adhere to all recommendations by the CDC, County and City. You can also stay up on the latest information regarding changes to unemployment at the EDD Website. The hope is that if everyone follows the guidelines the virus will be contained quickly.
In the meantime, no matter how you spin it, the news is bleak – Events are banned, beaches, parks and schools are closed, travel has halted and we’ve been order to shelter in place This, of course, is especially difficult on brick and mortar businesses and those directly or indirectly involved with events, travel, tourism, etc.
LJVMA has launched a media campaign to encourage residents to support those restaurants and businesses serving customers through delivery and takeout.
Here’s what you can now do to be proactive:
- Add copy to your website’s homepage letting your customers know the status of your business. The community wants to know you plan to reopen as soon as possible. Be authentic and share your plans. Update often/
- Update your website and all social media to answer the FAQs consumers are asking RIGHT NOW:
- Are you considered an essential business and are still open?
- Are you doing takeout/delivery?
- How will you keep me safe if I come to your store or restaurant? Keep your social media updated as new guidelines change. The more current and consistent your messaging the more likely customers will trust your information and YOU!
- Can I do curbside pickup?
- What are your hours?
- Do you deliver?
- Speaking of Delivery… La Jolla Golf Carts is generously offering free pickup and delivery of items in the Village area of La Jolla to help businesses or residents in need of assistance due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19). Restrictions may apply due to health and safety restrictions. Please call (858) 401-6307 to learn more.
- If you DO deliver – lead with this message on all your media platforms.
- If you DON’T currently deliver – Now is the time to investigate some type of delivery service such as Grub Hub, Door Dash, Uber Eats, etc. Some are even reducing fees, commissions and other barriers. Plus, by partnering with an online delivery service you may pick up new diners as these platforms have an exponentially growing subscriber base. Here’s an article that outlines some of the differences.
- Promote the heck out of the La Jollalty Card –
- If you are part of the La Jollalty Card, don’t let ANY local customer leave without offering them your discount (the 10% you give them today will create a friend forever).
- Get every local customer to sign up for the card so that they can use it to support other merchants – make sure they complete the contact card as we will be doing some innovative promotion for La Jollalty Card holder.
- If you are NOT on the La Jollalty Card – what are you waiting for? It’s free for merchants and it gives you an instant solution to developing repeat sales. Complete the online form here and we’ll get you set up immediately.
- Gift Card Promotions – Sales from gift cards are a great way to create cash flow! Get creative and offer customers the chance to purchase gift cards now at a discount – Get a $50 Gift Card for $40. This helps them help you! Offer EVERY customer – pick-up or delivery – the option to purchase a discounted gift card for their next purchase.
- Work Together – Talk to your neighbors about cross-marketing.
- Retailer >>> Restaurant “Thanks for shopping with us online. I’ll emial you a $10 gift certificate for “my favorite restaurant.” They do takeout and delivery.”
- Restaurant >>> Retailer – Consider putting a coupon from your favorite retailer inside delivery bags.
- Free Publicity — We are working directly with various media outlets to share ways local businesses are keeping the cup half full. Are you doing something different due to restrictions? Has something positive come out of this for you or your staff? Let us know and we’ll get you some free publicity! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your solutions.
We hope these initial ideas will help you stay positive. We will continue to post ideas, resources and updates at here.
Don’t forget to Share your ideas with us, too!
On behalf of the La Jolla Village Board of Directors stay calm and safe!
March 16, 2020