Job Posted: March 1st, 2022
Director of Finance
La Jolla Music Society
Duties and Responsibilies:
- Prepare or direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts, annual budgets, or reports required by regulatory and taxing agencies.
- Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analysis to provide insight into the organization’s operations and business plans.
- Understand fund accounting with grants, restricted funds, and endowment investments.
- Analyze the financial details of past, present, and expected operations to identify development opportunities and areas where improvement is needed.
- Monitor financial activities and details, such as cash flow, investments, and reserve levels, to ensure that all legal and regulatory requirements are met.
- Receive, record, and authorize requests for disbursements in accordance with company policies and procedures.
- Conduct or coordinate reconciliations of company accounts, sub-ledgers, and financial transactions to ensure compliance with state and federal requirements and statutes.
- Analyze the effect of federal, state, and local statutory and regulatory changes along with changes in accounting guidance to ensure correct application to LJMS policies and processes.
- Responsible for hierarchy and scalability in the chart of accounts and accuracy in the general ledger and financial statements.
- Review, analyze, and reconcile general ledger accounts, investment transactions in conjunction with preparing monthly reports for management.
- Review and approve journal entries.
- Review and approve payroll.
- Oversee investment accounts recordkeeping including allocation of earnings among funds.
- Supervise employees performing financial reporting, accounting, collections, payroll, and budgeting duties.
- Train, support, and mentor the professional development of Finance Department staff.
- Demonstrate good judgment and leadership to La Jolla Music Society in the community.
- Provide direction and assistance to other organizational units regarding accounting and budgeting policies and procedures and efficient control and utilization of financial resources.
- Serve as company liaison with auditors (annual financial audit).
- Develop and maintain relationships with banking, investment, insurance, and non-organizational accounting personnel to facilitate financial activities.
- Develop and administer internal control policies, guidelines, and procedures for activities such as budget administration, year-end forecasting, modeling, cash and credit management, and accounting.
- Maintain current knowledge of organizational policies and procedures, federal and state policies, and accounting standards.
- Responsible for accurate and timely payroll tax, sales and use tax, property tax, annual census, and 401k reporting.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business-related field required. CPA or MBA is a plus.
- Experience in a nonprofit organization particularly performing arts is preferred along with a thorough knowledge of general nonprofit accounting, including the application of general accounting theory.
- Minimum 7-10 years experience in accounting plus 3 years Controller experience.
- The ideal candidate possesses leadership and supervisory capabilities, solid operational and technical accounting skills, and works proactively to drive results.
- Must be PC proficient and able to thrive in a fast-paced setting. Experience with Financial Edge or other financial software and Tessitura ticketing/fundraising systems is a plus. Must have extensive experience with Microsoft Excel.
- The Director of Finance is a self-starter, flexible, has a high level of integrity, and is action and goal-oriented in a fast-paced, team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong relationships. Demonstrated mentoring, coaching, and organizational administrative skills required.
- Self-managed and able to work independently while managing multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong communication skills, written and verbal.
How to Apply
See website below
Salary commensurate with experience. La Jolla Music Society offers paid vacation, holiday, and sick time; parking; and contribution to a 401K account, as well as health, dental, and vision insurance coverage.