Earth Day is a reminder that we all have a role to play in preserving our environment for future generations. The Grande Colonial Hotel in La Jolla, California, has taken several initiatives to reduce its environmental impact and promote sustainability and claims to be the greenest hotel in La Jolla!
Take a look at some of the ways the hotel has implemented eco-friendly practices:
- Energy Efficiency: Upgraded its lighting to energy-efficient LED bulbs and installed motion sensors to turn off lights in unoccupied rooms. Energy-efficient appliances and equipment are also installed throughout the property.
- Water Conservation: Installation of low-flow showerheads and toilets to conserve water and the implementation of a linen reuse program to reduce the laundry water usage.
- Recycling: Implemented a comprehensive recycling program, including placing recycling bins in guest rooms and public areas, as well as recycling of glass, plastic, and paper.
- Food Waste Reduction: Partnered with local food banks and composting facilities to reduce food waste.
- Green Cleaning: Implemented a green cleaning program to reduce the use of chemicals, using only environmentally friendly cleaning products.
- Alternative Transportation: The Colonial encourages guests to use alternative transportation by offering bicycle rentals and providing information on public transportation options.
Assistant General Manager, Ryan Dodds, touched on the importance of being environmentally friendly, “Sustainably is paramount for us, and we also recognize that is what our guests look for when considering whether they want to stay with us in the future, which we take into the highest consideration”.
The Grande Colonial Hotel is committed to sustainable practices and reducing its environmental impact, be sure to book a weekend getaway soon to celebrate Earth Day!